InsideFood Message Board
Sign up Calendar
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
SCURVYCHEF

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #1 
Do other companies have a hard time right now?
0
SoCalFoodDude

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member II
Registered:
Posts: 463
Reply with quote  #2 
You must be a US Foods TM.

Part of this is a result of centralized purchasing in Rosemont. Buyers have no idea what is going on locally. The corporate produce buyer used buy auto parts (WTF?)!

The other reason for out of stocks is a shortage of trucks and trailers to deliver to the Divisions nationwide. I find this one hard to believe because tractor-trailers are bumper to bumper on the freeway.


0
SCURVYCHEF

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #3 

My thoughts are that centralized buying would always lead to a nightmare. I'm looking to confirm whether or not that is actually the case...
0
SoCalFoodDude

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member II
Registered:
Posts: 463
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCURVYCHEF
My thoughts are that centralized buying would always lead to a nightmare. I'm looking to confirm whether or not that is actually the case...


It's horrible. USF had this system years ago. Jim Miller and his gang of idiots would make these huge purchases and force the divisions to take hundreds of cases they didn't need or want. A lot of money was spent on outside storage (especially frozen).
0
commoditiesguy

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 191
Reply with quote  #5 
Centralized purchasing, done correctly, can work just fine.
Leave the highly perishable purchases at the local level (fresh proteins, produce, JIT programs etc.), and the rest can be reasonably managed from a central location.

As for having someone buying food that used to buy auto-parts, that's a different story.  That's a bad situation - especially for produce.
But, you don't have food people running USF, so they think they are dealing in widgets.
Pathetic.


0
Iahawk

Newbie
Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #6 
I believe every single employee from the top down should have to have restaurant experience. No one seems to understand that if a chef orders it, he needs it. Not next week, now.
Restaurants do not have the ability to know what is going to be ordered from their menu. Why do the buyers act like they are buying for an auto parts store? Because they don't have the fast paced customer service experience you only get in a kitchen. "Keeping Kitchens Cooking," show this to the buyers.
0
SoCalFoodDude

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member II
Registered:
Posts: 463
Reply with quote  #7 
We are in the food distribution business. Things change at a moment's notice. That's why the majority of purchasing (produce, dairy, protein) should be local. Things like Heinz Ketchup, foil, film, napkins and chemicals can be done through corporate.

All prospective buyers should have foodservice experience. We are a unique industry. Our purchasing people should understand how things work.
0
commoditiesguy

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 191
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iahawk
I believe every single employee from the top down should have to have restaurant experience. No one seems to understand that if a chef orders it, he needs it. Not next week, now. Restaurants do not have the ability to know what is going to be ordered from their menu. Why do the buyers act like they are buying for an auto parts store? Because they don't have the fast paced customer service experience you only get in a kitchen. "Keeping Kitchens Cooking," show this to the buyers.
While I don't disagree that some departments would benefit from this, specifically purchasing and sales and perhaps even marketing - do you really think this is necessary for HR, finance and even operations?
0
Investigator

Avatar / Picture

Prophet/Sage
Registered:
Posts: 1,299
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFoodDude
We are in the food distribution business. Things change at a moment's notice. That's why the majority of purchasing (produce, dairy, protein) should be local. Things like Heinz Ketchup, foil, film, napkins and chemicals can be done through corporate.

All prospective buyers should have foodservice experience. We are a unique industry. Our purchasing people should understand how things work.


Dude
There is very little "local" left in the business anymore and the financiers do not want experienced local buyers controlling any portion of the product flows into these markets. In fact they want to get rid of the buying function as it used to exist. Heaven forbid a local buyer using an un approved supplier to meet a local niche. 


And experience purchasing people have a "memory" of how the business should function and that's also a no no.
0
commoditiesguy

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 191
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investigator


Dude
There is very little "local" left in the business anymore and the financiers do not want experienced local buyers controlling any portion of the product flows into these markets. In fact they want to get rid of the buying function as it used to exist. Heaven forbid a local buyer using an un approved supplier to meet a local niche. 


And experience purchasing people have a "memory" of how the business should function and that's also a no no.
  Well Investigator (a.k.a. Mark Felt), for once, I would have to agree with you.
0
brokerexpert

Member
Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investigator


Dude
There is very little "local" left in the business anymore and the financiers do not want experienced local buyers controlling any portion of the product flows into these markets. In fact they want to get rid of the buying function as it used to exist. Heaven forbid a local buyer using an un approved supplier to meet a local niche. 


And experience purchasing people have a "memory" of how the business should function and that's also a no no.


No buyers, no sales people, and no service, sounds like a foul mixture. I have never seen central buying work, and it has been tried many times. The transport industry has picked up due to the economy and they can't find enough drivers, and don't have to accept cheap rates right now, so the food distributors will have to pay more to get it shipped. It is a local business, that seems to be the problem in my humble opinion. My good buyers did have a memory, my poor buyers were out of Ocean Spray at Thanksgiving




0
Retiredfoodpro

Member
Registered:
Posts: 63
Reply with quote  #12 
Once Amazon begins distribution to institutional customers you won't need to worry about it anymore.  
0
FSVET

Avatar / Picture

FS God....FIRST InsideFood Poster
Registered:
Posts: 809
Reply with quote  #13 
Amazon will probably buy US Foods and that will be the end of foodservice distribution as we know it.
__________________
The problem with your gene pool, is that there is no lifeguard.
0
iSELLboxes

Newbie
Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #14 
You honestly think that Amazon who works off of a tight margin and gets their money up front is going to switch to chasing checks and eating bad debt write-offs?
0
isellketchupforaliving

Member
Registered:
Posts: 33
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSELLboxes
You honestly think that Amazon who works off of a tight margin and gets their money up front is going to switch to chasing checks and eating bad debt write-offs?


Do you think if they decide to enter foodservice they are going to do it the way Sysco and US have always done it? Every new industry they enter they go in and do it their way and they shake the entire industry to its core. I dont know if/when they will get in to foodservice but I do know if they do they will do it their way. 
0
marko1golf

Member
Registered:
Posts: 31
Reply with quote  #16 
As long as we are able to sell the right product at the right price, delivered at the right time, to our customers, i don't care who owns us... our current leadership is clueless about what our customers really want or need 
__________________
Rosovan/dose
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.