InsideFood Message Board
Sign up Calendar
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Foodservicedriver20

Member
Registered:
Posts: 39
Reply with quote  #1 
Question for everyone. Since it’s constantly changing, where does everyone see these industry going? Out of all the food service companies (Sysco,USF, and so on) who will be left , who is going to buy out who, is the top 3 going to change?
0
bestdsr

Member
Registered:
Posts: 53
Reply with quote  #2 
There will always be the big boys.
Ankle biters will be out there too.
The restaurant depot will survive......but you will see more on line and due to the amount of dough the big boys have invested, you will see 7 day a week delivery.
You will see night delivery.
The sales person will call on many more accounts. They will see them once a quarter. But be available 24/7.
The now generation will prevail.
It is a great and changing market. If you work you will make a good living
0
Winenot

Member
Registered:
Posts: 22
Reply with quote  #3 
I think the big companies will continue to push customers to order online & encourage small customers to buy from places like the Chef store etc. (as that is more cost effective than stopping a truck for a 500.00 order). The sales force and front line management will decrease and the remaining reps will be managing a lot more accounts. I think if you want to remain in the business - working for an independent is the way to go.
0
broadliner

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member III
Registered:
Posts: 793
Reply with quote  #4 
The problem with going to an independent is that Sysco, USF, PFG, Gordon and Ben E. Keith will continue to pick them off to grab their customers or just get them out of the way. I would avoid Sysco and USF like the plague. Too much micromanagement and corporate BS. 
0
Dino_nugget

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 17
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadliner
The problem with going to an independent is that Sysco, USF, PFG, Gordon and Ben E. Keith will continue to pick them off to grab their customers or just get them out of the way. I would avoid Sysco and USF like the plague. Too much micromanagement and corporate BS. 


Im not micromanaged at all.  Keep your busy work done, and be successful, and you won't be kept on a short leash.
0
Retiredfoodpro

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 130
Reply with quote  #6 
The restaurant industry will drive change.  Distributors have no control over how eateries reinvent themselves. Keeping up will cause the distributors to find more creative ways to reduce operating costs and increase margins. Drop sizes will continue to be problematic and sales reps will continue to fight bad debt and shrinking commissions. Amazon will eventually upset the apple cart.  
0
Investigator

Avatar / Picture

Prophet/Sage
Registered:
Posts: 1,429
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredfoodpro
The restaurant industry will drive change.  Distributors have no control over how eateries reinvent themselves. Keeping up will cause the distributors to find more creative ways to reduce operating costs and increase margins. Drop sizes will continue to be problematic and sales reps will continue to fight bad debt and shrinking commissions. Amazon will eventually upset the apple cart.  


Beware the Uber "killers" are on the make to making the restaurant and by default the distribution business a mere formality. A ready designed kit,  of food parts , a huge kitchen built on the edge of an industrial park and viola you're all set. Consumer just download the app, and Uber will have a slave cook the meal and then have another slave deliver it to your door, using the slaves own auto.

https://www.ft.com/content/174f2c66-4fc7-11e9-b401-8d9ef1626294

"America you are free to do as we tell you. You are free to do as we tell you".
0
salesman71

Newbie
Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadliner
The problem with going to an independent is that Sysco, USF, PFG, Gordon and Ben E. Keith will continue to pick them off to grab their customers or just get them out of the way. I would avoid Sysco and USF like the plague. Too much micromanagement and corporate BS. 
0
salesman71

Newbie
Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #9 
You consider Ben E Keith a big player? Aren’t they an independent?
0
formerdsr

Member
Registered:
Posts: 87
Reply with quote  #10 
I would call them a "super-regional".

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman71
You consider Ben E Keith a big player? Aren’t they an independent?
0
Eyes Wide Open

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Beware the Uber "killers" are on the make to making the restaurant and by default the distribution business a mere formality. A ready designed kit,  of food parts , a huge kitchen built on the edge of an industrial park and viola you're all set. Consumer just download the app, and Uber will have a slave cook the meal and then have another slave deliver it to your door, using the slaves own auto.

 
This new model allows owners to cut Labor (floor Staff)and shrink real estate footprint (less property tax- lower monthly nut) lower  liability  Insurance- no bar. No dishes/ glassware flatware to wash/break get tossed or stolen.

Put five or six menus on the internet and your a Mexican, Italian, burger joint, Sushi place, Sub Shop/ Deli, caterer -all out of the same kitchen only your Uber driver knows. 

Consumer: gets to eat at home in their PJ's or entertain in their McMansions. Tipping the delivery person is a LOT less expensive than 15 or 20% for table side service. Have a second glass of wine if you want --- your not driving home cause your all-ready there.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.